Tuesday, March 3, 2015

An Emotional Journey: "The Moon Was My Witness" by Abraham Levy


One of my deep loves, from a very young age, is the Holocaust and the World Wars. Most consider this to be a morbid curiosity, however, I couldn't disagree more. From middle school, into high school, I would get very angry at my classmates for their apathy towards the subject. My fascination hasn't been towards death, but rather the capacity of any human or group of humans to be so cruel and uncaring. Honestly, I would easily call it downright psychopathic. That doesn't even begin to cover it! Additionally, the awe that I feel is for those who have survived the horrors and still manage to tell their stories and live their lives.

To recover from something like that is unfathomable to me because I don't know how I would pick up the pieces after so much loss. To be an adult and go through the series of events is one thing. To be a child, is a completely different thing. That is the story that you follow in "The Moon Was My Witness: The Jewish Boy Who Sabotaged the S.S. Commander's Motorcycle (Holocaust Memories)" by Abraham Levy.

 This book is important in so many ways. Not only will the words of Abraham live on forever, but memories are now frozen for the world examine and learn from and determine to never let happen again. It is said that if we do not learn from the past, we are doomed to repeat it. I completely agree. In reading this memoir, the emotions are real and haunting. The book leaves an impression that doesn't leave you. I found myself thinking about the words even when I didn't have the book in front of me.

 To be a child...to be torn between so many worlds, is painful to think about. Trying to hold on to childhood, while witnessing things that adults shouldn't...feeling guilty for your physical appearance because it is all that has saved you so many times...while others don't have that option to rely on...is all heartbreaking. For a child to experience all of this is just unimaginable.

 The book is very easy to read, and it feels as if you're being told a story in person. The words flow, and it goes by quickly. As sad and emotional as it is, you almost want to learn more of Abraham's experiences. At the same time, I was extremely satisfied with the read and I felt honored to have received the words into my heart. The book is a very emotional read and is a lot to take in, however, there are few books with as much importance as this.

I received this book as part of a promotion, and received it free for my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment