Sunday, February 22, 2015

Mr. Sandman - WHOA. WHAT Just Happened??

Recently, I accepted the offer to review an e-book. After downloading my free copy, I set to reading. Now normally, I'm very quick to read and review something (my other blog is called Krypto Dies). ESPECIALLY when it holds my interest.

Now, I'm really into comics of all kinds, so obviously I've been exposed to every plot line under the sun that deals with the sci-fi genre (I would say that Mr. Sandman fits most into this one) so I didn't know what to expect. Typically, I get bored and can say "called it" at the end and go on to write a review about a plot I've reviewed a hundred times. HOWEVER, Mr. Sandman was great in that it was unexpected (the twist and turn of events had me wondering what would happen next and how the story would resolve).

I really don't want to give away too much, but I do particularly love how, throughout the story, different points of view are used. One example that you will find right away is the story of the scientists dealing with a newborn baby (who is genetically altered, we come to find out) while also viewing the story of two employees who are working on a separate level (cleaning). What begins as a military experiment gone wrong turns into one Mr. Lance Cutter being presumed dead TWICE and going head-to-head with a serial killer who has unique...ways. Lance finds himself in a situation where his past is catching up with him.

And that's where I HAVE to stop. You guys have no idea how hard it was not to reveal the plot or key aspects of it.

I will say the following, however.

Technically:

The characters are well developed. They are believable. They grow. They develop. You become attached to them. I LOVE that in a book.

The words connect well and flow into sentences that are easy to read and understand. Reading this book doesn't feel like a chore, but the content is intelligent.

It's easy to stay interested in the plot and the sequence of events. GEEZ. THIS part REALLY makes me want to say more...GAH! I'll just leave it by saying: there's never a dull moment.

I really enjoyed this read! If you're interested in a sci-fi mystery, definitely check it out!

1 comment:

  1. I will check it out! You must do a review of my book when you finish it :)

    ReplyDelete